A Short History & Guide to the Building

Abbey Church photo

In 1929 when the Church of Scotland was reunited the burgh parish of Kilwinning was divided between the congregations of Erskine, Mansfield and theParish Church which became known as the Kilwinning Abbey Church.The Parish Church of Kilwinning was built by John Garland and John Wright and completed in 1774. It stands on the site of an earlier sixteenth century church which in turn was located within the ruins of Kilwinning Abbey. The Abbey was founded in 1188. We therefore have a history that goes back over 800 years on this site. However there is also a connection with the Celtic church which takes us back over 1400 years.

It is now one of two churches in communion with the Church of Scotland in the town. The congregation is now known as Kilwinning Old Parish Church of Scotland. The church building still tends to be known as the Abbey Church.

There are currently around 617 members in the congregation mainly resident in Kilwinning but coming from some neighbouring towns as well.

We are conscious of our heritage but are actively looking forward and hope to be a spiritual home to the people of Kilwinning for a long time to come.